A false alarm at Hawley School led to students and staff having to leave the building in the middle of a downpour Monday, according to Principal Jo-Ann Peters Edmondson.
The fire alarm went off at Hawley at about 11:35 a.m., and students and staff duly left the building.
"Unfortunately, at that time it was pouring rain and all students and staff were soaked," wrote Peters-Edmondson in a note to parents.
Security personnel at Hawley School told Patch a sensor in the boiler room was accidentally triggered, leading to the alarm.
School was dismissed early, with parents picking up students from the gym beginning at 12:45 p.m. Staff have been instructed to hold children until parents can arrive to pick them up.
"Additional staff will be riding the school bus to ensure no student is left unattended at the bus stop," said Peters-Edmondson. "I ask that all parents meet the children at the bus stop to ensure that no child is left unattended."