As a hazardous materials abatement is underway at Sandy Hook Elementary School this week, reports are emerging that employees of construction contractors Consiglii are being required to sign non-disclosure forms to prevent leaks of material from the school.
Workers began hazardous abatement Monday. Llodra said it's essential for workers to finish the abatement before demolition begins in earnest. Town officials have said the schedule is tight, but they plan to work ahead of schedule — demolition is planned to conclude before the one-year anniversary of the shooting on Dec. 14, 2013.
"There's quite a bit of abatement to do, and abatement is critical," Llodra said. "We have to get rid of the hazardous materials on the site before we can do anything else."
Contractors working on the project are prohibited from publicly discussing the school, taking photos or removing material from the grounds, according to a Danbury News-Times report Monday.
Selectman Will Rodgers told the News-Times the move was designed to prevent "looky-loos." Town officials, including Public Building and Site officials, are expected to work closely with Consiglii, and background checks may be required for crews.
Work began almost immediately after voters overwhelmingly approved a $49.25 million state grant last Saturday to allow work to continue with the project.
Last week, Public Building and Site director Bob Mitchell told selectmen demolition is scheduled to begin Oct. 25.
"Everything will be approved," he said. "Nothing is going to keep us from having the building down at an appropriate time."