In real terms, the 2013 Grand List, for the levy year of 2014-15, increased by .59% to $3,055,134,793. The Grand List is the total value of taxable property in town (including real estate, personal property and motor vehicles).
The 2013 Grand List could change slightly based on any adjustments made during upcoming hearings being held by the Board of Assessment Appeals (BOAA). As of last week, 36 property owners had submitted an application to get on the BOAA agenda.
(Those applications are due by Feb. 20. You can download them from the town's website, under the "Forms" section or obtain one in person at the Assessor's Office; note: the application link was not working at the time of publication.)
According to Finance Director Bob Tait, a 1% increase in the net taxable Grand List creates approximately $1,000,000 in new taxes.
The .59% growth represents the second highest year-over-year increase the town has seen in eight years (not including reval years), according to information provided by Tait. Still, the total of the 2013 Grand List is a far cry from where it was in 2011, when it came in at $3,950,412,514.
Grand List Growth Over the Years
- 2013: $3,055,134,793 (.59%)
- 2012: $3,037,213,803 (reval year)
- 2011: $3,950,412,514 (.66%)
- 2010: $3,924,524,807 (.42%)
- 2009: $3,908,204,114 (-.08)
- 2008: $3,911,449,143 (-.04)
- 2007: $3,912,900,563 (reval year)
- 2006: $3,042,109,216 (1.8%)
- 2005: $2,988,375,396 (n/a)
A $1.8 million sewer project proposed for the Hawleyville section of town could be a step toward achieving that balance, Llodra said, as it would open large parcels to development.
Newtown's Top 10 Taxpayers
Based on the 2013 Grand List, Newtown's top 10 taxpayers (including real estate, personal property and motor vehicle) are:
- Connecticut Light & Power: $28,747,500
- E&A / I&G Sandhill Plaza Ltd. Partnership: $15,155,000
- Iroquis Gas Transmission System (CT FO) $14,932,630
- Newtown Shopping Village Limited: $10,141,950 (2 accounts)
- Newtown Alf Property LLC: $7,700,820
- Toll CT Association Ltd. Partnership: $6,823,610 (169 accounts)
- M Newtown Association Ltd. Partnership: $6,666,180 (2 accounts)
- Tuv Rheinland of North America Inc.: $6,041,050
- Barnabas Realty Group General Partnership: $5,869,610
- Taunton Press Inc.: $5,789,510 (3 accounts)
The total of those top 10 taxpayers is $107,867,860.