A hastily organized Sunday press conference to announce possible fraud in connection with Tropical Storm Irene aid headlines the news coming out of Hartford this past week.
Gov. Dannel Malloy held a 3 p.m. Sunday press conference to announce that he has ordered an investigation into possible fraud by ineligible state employees and others, who may have obtained disaster aid through the federal
The program was intended to reimburse low-income residents for costs, including income loss, temporary shelter and property repairs as a result of Tropical Storm Irene. Some applications apparently were filed by state employees whose income exceed the program's requirements, Malloy said.
"I want to be clear that, at this point, I am only dealing with the appearance of impropriety," the governor said in a press release. "Each incident will be thoroughly investigated before action is taken against any individual."
The allegations are surfacing just as the Hearst Connecticut Newspapers group begins its three-week daily series on Malloy's first year in office.
Ted Mann apparently was given unfettered access to Malloy for a year, with an agreement that any material gathered would be used for the series and not for any daily newspaper coverage, Hearst's editorial director David McCumber said.
The project "speaks to the confidence and cockiness that has imbued Malloy's dealings," according to Mark Pazniokas of the Connecticut Mirror who interviewed Malloy in advance of the start of the series.
Also last week, Malloy held a press conference to , which said that Connecticut Light & Power was ill prepared to respond to the massive outages stemming from Tropical Storm Irene and the historic October snow storm.
Making news in the General Assembly was the made up of state House of Representatives and Senate members, which redrew General Assembly district lines throughout the state.
While the General Assembly districts are set, congressional districts remain a point of contention with the Connecticut Supreme Court approving an extension that will give state legislators until Dec. 21 to reach an agreement, according to the Connecticut Mirror.
Among the issues Republicans and Democrats are wrangling over is the division of the 4th and 5th congressional districts. The five Democrats now in office – Reps. John B. Larson (1st District), Joe Courtney (2nd District), Rosa DeLauro (3rd District), Jim Himes (4th District) and Chris Murphy (5th District) – are advocating few changes to the current map while Republicans are seeking major changes.
Specifically in this region, would move 5th District municipalities, such as Danbury and Newtown to the 4th District, while Bridgeport, a known Democratic stronghold, would be moved to the 3rd District, which presumably would weaken Himes' support base in a re-election campaign.
While Democrats said changes to the census did not call for major revisions to the congressional districts, State Sen. John McKinney (R-Fairfield) told Patch that when the districts were last drawn in 2001, they appeared to have been the work of a "gerrymandered" compromise.
"We need to correct what was done 10 years ago," he said.