First Selectman Pat Llodra, Emergency Management Director Bill Halstead and Health District Director Donna Culbert suggest residents seek relief from by visiting several locations that are open to the public.
- , 3 Primrose St. (Fairfield Hills campus) will be the town's official cooling center during the weekdays between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. The also is on exhibit at the center.
- , 25 Main St., is open 9:30 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday through Thursday; 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Friday; 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday.
- , 14 Riverside Road is open 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- , 45 Main St., offers $2 movies and has 1 p.m. matinees Monday through Saturday; 4 p.m. matinees from Friday through Sunday; and 7 and 9 p.m. showings. THOR (PG-13) is playing today and Thursday while RIO (PG) is playing Friday through next Thursday, July 28. For more information on movies and showtimes, check out the website.
Officials also said large grocery stories, such as Big Y, Caraluzzi and Stop & Shop also are alernatives that offer respite from the heat.
Residents also are asked to check on the elderly or frail neighbors who may be more vulnerable in the heat.
Other information health officials want publicized:
Individuals are urged to take the following steps to ensure good health:
Drink plenty of water
- Avoid strenuous activities
- Take frequent rests for cooling down in an air conditioned area or near a fan
- Wear light, loose-fitting, light-colored clothing
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine
- Eat lightly throughout the day
- Avoid exposure to direct sunlight or long periods in the sun (especially between the hours of 12 noon and 4pm which are the hottest hours during the day)
- Call 911 at the first signs of heat related illness
Heat Related Illness has some common symptoms that should be watched for, including:
- Dry Red Spotted Skin
- Body temp. at or above 105 degrees F
- Mental Confusion
If you have any questions, contact the Newtown Health District Director, Donna Culbert at 203-270-4291.
Correction: Movies at Edmond cost $2. An earlier version of this article included the wrong admission fee.