One week after a heavy blizzard dropped 2 to 3 feet of snow on Newtown overnight, the National Weather Service (NWS) is forecasting another snowfall Friday night that could last through the weekend.
According to the Hazardous Weather Outlook issued by the NWS, a front passing just southeast of Long Island has the potential to bring “significant snowfall, especially to areas near New York City and points east.”
Forecasts Thursday night predict a 20 percent chance of snow beginning early Saturday morning, increasing to 60 percent by mid-morning into the afternoon.
The snow is expected to taper off Saturday afternoon, however there is a chance it will continue to fall through Sunday.
Newtown Weekend Forecast
- Friday: Partly sunny, with a high near 45. Southwest wind 3 to 8 mph.
- Friday Night: A slight chance of snow showers after 3am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. Calm wind. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Saturday: Snow showers likely, mainly between 9am and noon. Cloudy, with a high near 31. North wind 5 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
- Saturday Night: A chance of snow showers, mainly before midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 17. North wind around 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Sunday: A slight chance of snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 24. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Sunday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 15.