This story may be updated between now and the parade. Check back for updates.
At noon on Monday, September 3, 2012 the town will be holding the 51st Annual Labor Day Parade.
It is important to note that the parade will start at 12:00 p.m. this year. According to Beth Caldwell, the change in start time is due to last year’s weather related postponement to Sunday. “We got such an overwhelmingly positive response from parade participants and organizers that we decided to try for noon this year,” she said.
The Second Annual “Labor Day Fair” will be held on the front lawn of the Middle School from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Early risers can start the day with a breakfast sandwich, snack and a tour of local vendors’ wares and the Girl Scouts’ tag sale.
For the Line Up, see the attached PDF in the gallery
The parade will necessitate the closure of all roads leading to the center of town. The specific closure locations are as follows:
- RT 25/ Mt Pleasant Road South at Reservoir Road
- Main Street Access from Academy Lane , Currituck Rd, Hanover, School House Hill and West Street
- Church hill Road Westbound at The Boulevard
- RT 302 at Elm Drive
- RT 25 North at Elizabeth St (Detour for RT 25 will be Wasserman Way
- Queen St North at Elizabeth Street
The following roads will have No Parking signs erected and will be considered tow away zones:
- The Boulevard from Church Hill Road to School House Hill Rd
- School House Hill Road from the Boulevard to Main Street
- Hanover Road from Main Street to Hall Lane
- Elm Drive From RT 302 to Hawley Rd
- Meadow Rd
- Elizabeth Street
- Hawley Rd
The roads will be closed from approximately 11:30 am to approximately 2:30 pm